Thursday 15 October 2015

Today's old-timey acquisition

The Cambridge University Roleplaying Society has been liquidating its old library in order to buy some games that its members actually play, which is fair enough. This means that a lot of classic gaming books are being sold off. I missed out on a few bargains in the first part of the sale, so I was pleased to snap up this Deities and Demigods for a very small price.



This is not the famous one with the Cthulhu Mythos section -- they did have one of those, but they opened it up for bidding and it climbed out of my price range in moments. Still, it's nice to have this to go with the other AD&D 1st ed. books I'll never actually use. I should get a Fiend Folio if the opportunity presents itself.


Marcus Burnham, if you're out there ... 

Anyway, as you can see, back in the day the Cambridge University Roleplaying Society was called the D&D Society. 

The book itself is fascinating. I have flipped through it in the past but never really read it. I expect a lot of people first encountered a lot of these mythologies through this book -- and probably encountered some goofy ideas about them, too. But I do like how grounded the older game was in history and mythology, even quite selectively interpreted history and mythology. 

As usual, there is some 70s-type cheesecake. 

Freya's bitch-face game is on point. 

I'm not sure that is a good dog-walking outfit, Hecate. 
There are one or two dubious choices: 


That Chinese take-out font is ... oof.

But anyway, I've got one and I'm looking forward to reading it. It's been a good week for vintage gaming finds, and I'm looking forward to more!

No comments:

Post a Comment