Thursday 15 September 2016

Frugal gaming: bits and pieces

It's been a busy week, but I have been out and about running some errands, and I did get the opportunity to stop into some local charity shops.

This gate is a Mega Bloks toy I got for 30p. Apparently it's a Mag Warriors Dark Portal, although those look greyer than this is. Perhaps it's a different kind of portal? I don't know, but it looks nice, especially for 30p. It even lights up and plays a sort of wub-wub-wub-wub building-up sound, so that'll be useful. I'll have to be careful when I paint it not to cover over the light-up areas. Still, I'm pretty pleased with it. Where's yer Baleful Realmgates now? (Costing 50 times as much is the answer.)

During last night's D&D game.
That Predator doesn't quiiiite fit, but pretty close. 


This miniature isn't a charity shop find or anything, but he was free so I'm including him here as a catchall. He is an Essex Miniatures ... something-or-other, and he is apparently stabbing himself right in the beard. It looks a bit daft, but actually I think he came out not badly with a simple paint scheme. That's a common theme with the Essex models for me.



Similarly, this guy is an Essex model, for whom I have written a longer backstory. He's part of a group of minis who will feature in a little miniscenario I will post up here when I've done them all, which will be ... well. A while.

I think he came out quite well!




4 comments:

  1. That portal is fantastic.

    A lick of paint to take some of the "toyness" off it and it's perfect for a Bloodthirster or Mr Stay-Puft to storm through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I'm going to use its magnets to hang up some banners, too, or something like that, to customise it for scenarios.

      Delete
  2. I always thought Mega Bloks made crap lego, but this item looks great! Might be the wheat from the chaff though hey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some other pretty cool potential terrain pieces from Mega Bloks sets; I'll have to do a post some day. But yeah, in general I think you're probably right.

      Delete